I've not used pound but do use HAProxy and have found it quite capable. Some say it's a bit more difficult to setup for the average user ( mostly because it has A LOT of features / options ) but I doubt it would give anyone on this list a problem.

I bring it up because when researching which LB to use ( pound, haproxy, nginx, etc... ) I found a couple of sites mentioning how resource intensive pound seemed to be.

Give it a look if you are unable to solve the pound issue.

HAProxy site : http://haproxy.1wt.eu/

One discussion of HAProxy vs. Pound :
http://highscalability.com/product-haproxy-reliable-high-performance-tcp-http-load-balancer

-j