Hi Dossy,

The fatal signal was from the precompiled binary. I persisted withe
one i compiled and had a little trouble, one thing was a mistake on my
part that I did not have the mysql lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Once I
realised this I managed to get the driver loading and I do not see the
fatal signal when I do a SELECT. So far so good! I will now start
testing my application to see if everything is in order.

I think I got derailed by seeing the errors in the "make install", I
just needed to persist a little longer. With the errors and the number
of edits required to the Makefile it is a bit of a daunting process
for those less confident with this type of stuff.

Thanks for your help.
Nick