William Scott Jordan schrieb:
Hey all!

I've had a few times recently where AOLserver has crashed under high loads. Each time, I see a line in the logs that looks something like "unable to alloc 4895393 bytes".
What was the size of AOLserver before the crash (most likely around 2GB)?
What is the footprint per connection thread (how many packages are you loading, are you using OpenACS, DotLrn)?
How many connection threads did you define?
Any guesses on what's causing this?
In most cases, reduction on the numer of max connection threads helps.
One can certainly create even with a single thread this problem (e.g.
inifinite loop appending to a tcl variable).
Once, you are close to 2GB, an exec of an external program can cause
crossing this boundary.

In general, there the following ways to proceed:
- find the memory wasting loop like above (rather unlikely problem)
- reduce memory consumption
- compile tcl, aolserver and all used modules with 64bit

-gustaf neumann

-William

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <lists...@listserv.aol.com> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.

--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Gustaf Neumann
Institute of Information Systems and New Media