On Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:08am, "Jeff Rogers" <dv...@diphi.com> said:
> The C-python implementation has a misfeature known as the global
> interpreter lock (GIL) that presents scalability problems in a threaded
This why all of the Apache supported languages either require the pre-fork
model where they keep one interpreter per process (like PHP) or party like it's
1993 in a FastCGI environment like Ruby (on Rails) does. Yuk.

Tcl seems to be the only language that is thread safe and can be embedded in
the way it is in AOLserver.

And like others have said: AOLserver actually uses a lot of the Tcl API. Most
Tcl commands have a C equivalent that can be used outside an interpreter. With
the few C modules I have made good use of this, using the String functions and
not relying on things like glibc, for instance. (even glibc itself has many
threading issues; I tried the str functions and in a high-load concurrent
environment, they blew up and segfaulted.)

Bas.