Dossy,

I agree that the problem is not with AOLserver, wrt reading the log
file, but AOLserver should probably not accept url bytes outside of
the accepted range.

Headers are slightly more difficult to handle. I have a test http
client (htclient) which only accepts context appropriate bytes. For
headers the range of acceptable bytes is larger, but you first have to
identify the context. From what I can figure out right now, URLs can't
contain unescaped control characters, so valid urls written to a log
file will never cause problems with shell programs.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:
>  Actually, someone made the point -- what if you log request *headers*
> and someone puts a malicious byte sequence in that header?  What's the
> rule around escaping the header values?  What about every other code
> path where a remote user can write unfiltered bytes to a file on the
> server (logfile, etc.).
>
> Essentially, the vulnerability here isn't in applications that write
> these bytes to files, but specific terminal applications that are weak
> and should be fixed.  Otherwise, "cat" is potentially "vulnerable" and
> that's a ridiculous position to hold.

This is absolutely correct.  External applications should protect
themselves against malicious input. Many do. Occasionally I make a
mistake and read a binary file. The result is lots of beeps and
strange graphical characters appearing on the terminal. The only
solution is to exit the terminal.

Headers are much more dangerous than the request-line, but the problem
is with the reader, not the http application.

The request line cannot contain malicious characters, I'll have to
review the headers definition (either don't log headers or read them
with a safe reader).

tom jackson