Another day, another problem. ;)

This time it's a somewhat more recent (but still old) OpenACS site, that has
always run under AOLserver 4.0.10.  Overnight it got hit pretty hard by the
Yahoo crawler, and it has stopped responding.  Netstat shows 117 connections,
78 in CLOSE_WAIT state and the rest in SYN_RECV.

This site would hang up very occasionally on my old system;  I would just
restart it, since it didn't happen often enough to worry about.  But it has
only been running for about 16 hours, and that is way too soon to be doing this.

The new system is more powerful than the old one, and runs a much newer 64 bit
Linux, vs a very old 32 bit one.  It's entirely possible that my configuration
(connections) is not ideal, but it hasn't changed so I would expect it to run
at least as well on the new system as it did on the old.

For now I will just restart it but I'm sure this will happen again.  Any
suggestions on how to troubleshoot?  I have never had much luck over the years
figuring this out;  I usually just end up installing keepalive to restart, but
that is really not ideal.

thanks,

janine