I tried adding DefaultCharset to the config file, to no effect.  I also tried
setting PGCLIENTENCODING to UTF-8 in nsd-postgres, and that didn't change
anything either.  Just for grins I tried changing it to WIN, since the
assumption is that these are Windows smart quotes, but that just made the
garbage character disappear altogether.

janine

---
Janine Ohmer (formerly Sisk)