On 01.12.10 21:31, Tom Jackson wrote:
Personally I also wouldn't assume that AOLserver works perfectly with
Tcl8.6.
Me neither, but Tcl 8.6 is still in an early state.
Unless you absolutely need 8.5, I would stick with the latest
8.4 version. For one thing 8.4 is faster than either.
Well, it depends. My recommendation is to use Tcl 8.5.
From our experience from running large OpenACS apps
(600.000 loc Tcl on our production environment, delivering
up to 220 GB/day, up to 2.500+ concurrent users), the
performance difference between 8.4 and 8.5 is very little
as long one is using just 8.4 functionality. Tcl 8.5 has several
improvements to make programs more readably (e.g.
the "in" operator in expressions), more safe (e.g. the expand
operator) and leads to more stable multi-threaded programs
(e.g. c-stack protection, checking stack boundaries instead
of plain crashing as in 8.4), provides bignums, and many
many more really useful fixes and improvements.

The OpenACS community has decided some time ago
to require 8.5 for future releases.

>Please don't listen to the Tcl gurus, they are behind the
>curve...actually they are actively slowing down the curve.

Come on, stop that bashing. Jeff was referring to
http://code.activestate.com/lists/tcl-core/9805/

On real problems, the Tcl-core people are very helpful
and highly responsive...

-gustaf neumann