[you need to include <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the Cc line ]

Synopsis: VirtualHosts are inheriting rewrite rules by default

State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
State-Changed-By: rse
State-Changed-When: Thu Feb 26 01:12:49 PST 1998
State-Changed-Why:
It is a very subtle bug in the way the virtual server
config for modules are created and merged. I currently
don't know a solution to this, but I'm searching for
one...

To make the problem clear:

If there is at least one directive of a module, the per-server config-merging
function is
used and thus can merge correctly.  Mod_rewrite here does its job correct
because it initialized the per-server config with "engine disabled" and merges
this correctly. But now when no mod_rewrite directive exists in such a
<VirtualHost> section, it seems like mod_rewrite is never called (which in
general is fine). But then mod_rewrite cannot create a special per-server
config for this particular virtual host (where the engine would be disabled
per default) and thus the config of the main server is applied to this virtual
host.