The following reply was made to PR general/2117; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "David J. MacKenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: general/2117: The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the
'/' in comments.
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:43:05 -0700 (PDT)

 On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, David J. MacKenzie wrote:

 > That's fine, but in that case apache should print reasonable error
 > messages rejecting lines with trailing comments, not do undefined
 > things with them (such as silently accept them in some cases and
 > suddenly break upon a new release :-).  Checking correctness seems be
 > the apache approach to configuration file processing in other
 > respects.

 It actually does a well defined thing with them... it treats them all as
 hostnames in this case.  In general there's not much we can do without
 overhauling the config language -- because the RAW_ARGS style of commands
 can do almost anything they want.  There's no well defined quoting style;
 and inadequate centralized parsing.  It's somewhat difficult to shoehorn
 fixes into it.  A rewrite is definately in order.

 Dean