>Number:         2144
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apache always detaches for normal operation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
(Not a "real" problem, per se, but I guess it fits in this framework.)
Apache currently has no way to start up without detaching for normal
operation.  (-X makes it possible, but in a way that's not supposed to be used
for
non-debugging purposes).  By providing a command-line switch to not detach
the main process, it would be much easier to watch and govern the running of
apache with specialized tools.
For the worst example, init comes to mind, or a better example is djb's
svc/supervise from ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/daemontools.html.  They could
be used to provide non-root access (operator/developer group, controlled by
filesystem level access to a directory) to start/stop/restart/signal apache,
which seems to be an often wanted feature.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I can't believe it hasn't been already rehashed, but can't find any trace of it
in the FAQ, nor in the bugs database.  I can come up with a patch if this
is a feature which would be accepted if it requires no efforts from your
side. :)  Willing to provide even docs on how to get it to work with
daemontools.
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
[you need to include <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the Cc line ]