The following reply was made to PR general/2452; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/2452: httpd eats all CPU!! - critical problem (fwd)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:05:53 +0200
 To: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Subject: Re: general/2452: httpd eats all CPU!! - critical problem
 From: Rainer Scherg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Dean Gaudet schrieb:

 > Is your ServerRoot on NFS?  If so try using the LockFile directive.

 Hello!

 Sorry - No, the filesystem is on an internal harddisk (no remote mounts
 for webserver directories)...

 To keep it short, a list what I've tried or I'm still doing to track
 down the problem:

   - Checked all(?) hints on the apache bugdb & dejanews  (done)
   - Performance hints from the FAQ (done and still doing)
   - Checked the configs  (done some tune up)

   - Track down the problem using "truss" and  "lsof"  (still working on)
   - Tried to alter the apache code (insert debug code)

   no luck so far...

 We are using the apache for intranet servers and as virtual intranet
 (all servers are virtual)
   proxy1 = intranet proxy,  proxy2 = authentification proxy for internet
 firewall

 But as far as I can say at this moment, the problem seems to be located
 in the proxy functionality.
 Apache is fast in serving intranet pages (own pages).
 Requests for web pages via the proxies seems to be too slow (compared to
 a direct access to
 the firewall proxy).

 It seems to me very odd, that apache (10 active, 3 idle) can spiral down
 a Sparc 1000 (3 CPUs,
 512 MB, > 50 GB HD).

 At this moment we'll bind apache to only one cpu (pbind -cmd), so that
 the server will not be
 totally jammed - but this is no solution.

 I'm still trying to track down the problem, any ideas how it nailed
 down?

 Tnx for help! - Rainer