I again fell victim to this time not automake, but autoconf
(and my own stupidity).  It's not --with-apache-dir, it's --with-apache-install.
Of course, configure never complains if you specify an option that doesn't
exist.  It's like it doesn't care.

With --with-apache-install, Apache configures successfully, even without giving
--with-apache-src.  Now I'm even more confused: how did
MAKE_LIBJSERV get set?  I thought it required $apache_dir_is_src to be
true... but wait, let's look at it again:

AM_CONDITIONAL(MAKE_LIBJSERV, test x$apache_dir_is_src = xfalse)

This probably means: set MAKE_LIBJSERV to true *unless* apache_dir_is_src
is set to false (in which case it wouldn't make sense...)
Then it would make more sense.

So, I guess this leave only two problems on your end of things:
First, the problem with configuring outside the srcdir, and second the
problem with configure not reporting what is going wrong.

Thanks,

        - Godmar