The following reply was made to PR general/4160; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Apache bug database <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/4160: Reading large amounts of data
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:02:52 -0400

 Peter Gordon wrote:

 >  > and there's no limit on the body size of a POST -- which is
 >  > a more appropriate method of sending such large requests.
 >
 >  This is where I am having a problem. From having a look at the source,
 >  it looks as if it goes out of its way to limit the size of the
 >  incoming information. When I POST less than 8K, the transfer works
 >  successfully. When I post more, I get the error message
 >
 >    "HTTP request sent, awaiting response... HTTP/1.1 414 Request-URI Too
 > Large"

 POST data do *not* go in the URI.  The only limit is on the
 length of the URI.  It sounds as though you're trying to
 send all of your data in the URL itself (hence the error),
 instead of in the message body where it belongs for POST
 requests.

 >  The program receiving the information at the server end gives:
 >  REQUEST_METHOD = POST
 >  so I know that the method is correct.

 The method may be correct, but it sounds as though you're not
 using it correctly.
 --
 #ken    P-)}