You do not need to be in a channel

The server can relay a message like this:

var pipe_player=Ape.getPipe(p1); // Where p1 is the pubid of the user that
you want to send to.
if (pipe_player!=null)
{
      pipe_player.sendRaw("chat_msg", {'content_msg':text});
}

You can easily get the pubid of someone when he receiving a command from
him. It is info.user.getProperty('pubid')

The rest is not APE dependent I believe.