Don't bother trying apache - it won't cope with the load.

nginx can be used as a proxy. It even gives you some benefits, like it
can add gzip/deflate compression on the data which APE does not
provide on it's own.

However, using a proxy, you will use the capability to use websockets
which might get more and more interesting now

Cheers

Peter