Ok, if your are getting each APE.Log as expected 0 for Gandalf and 1 for
Frodo, that means your APE-SERVER logic (HTTP and getContent) is working
as expected => does allow or does not allow to past.
Also it means that each logic-block will send the cmd.sendResponse as it
should do for each case.

When you said.. "then it goes to the page with javascript errors in both
cases..."
Do you mean errors in your BROWSER (login page, etc) ?

If you are getting JS-errors in your SERVER that errors should be shown
into the APE.LOG.
Do you have errors there?

About the bind error.... not sure how it is used outside Mootools. Are
you using a mootools class in the server-side?
What bind should do is to "bring" the hook-connect scope (i.e. variables
"param" and "cmd") "visible" inside the getContent function..
so you can cmd.user.setProperty without getting the undefined error