As Mikel already said, our student Víctor M. Sánchez Cartagena has some nice
results with a system that adds all the possible application of Apertium
transfer rules to the phrase table of SMT system.

Also, I have just started to advise an undergraduate thesis on some related
approach: my student will keep all the possible alternatives of some of
Apertium modules (tagger, transfer, etc.) and train a log-linear model to
choose the best translation candidate.

Let us know if you make your own contribution to this line of research!

Regards,

  Juan Antonio Pérez-Ortiz
  Universitat d'Alacant