Just wanted to pipe up on this topic. I completed the Java port as a
GSoC project back in 2010, and yes the design of the modules is to
just pass around large strings/buffers. This makes it easier to use as
a library, yes. Though a bit of a heads-up, I believe there may still
be some places where the code uses System.exit() instead of just
throwing an error, which can be an issue when using it as a library.

-- Stephen
(p.s. Yes, I'm still around, and still need to get my Apertium dev
environment re-built, thanks for the reminder. ^_^)