2012/3/22 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unham...@fsfe.org>

> Jacob Nordfalk <jacob.nordf...@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
> > 2012/3/21 Aaron Rubin <aaronjrub...@gmail.com>
> >
> >     But not all of those would necessarily take up a week, and there's
> no way that all
> >     of this will take 12 weeks! So I've been thinking about common
> errors that might
> >     show up in transfer rules files, but nothing's really come to mind.
> Has anyone else
> >     noticed common mistakes in .dix or transfer rules files that would
> be suitable for
> >     this kind of program to look for?
> >
> > This might not strictly be a lint checkers job, but have a look at
> 'beginner errors'
> > like breaking the XML or not following the XML Schema:
> >  - forgetting an end tag (like  writing <s n="adj"> instead of <s
> n="adj"/>
> >  - messing up the " 's, like writing <s n="adj>
> >  - mis-naming an attribute
> >  - forgetting  attributes
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > I am not sure these kinds of errors are always reported to the user in a
> meaningfull way
> > by the compiler.
> >
> > However, I am sure that there are some users that use a lot of time
> struggling with such
> > errors.
> >
> > So I'd suggest leaving a week for seeing if there is something you could
> do to help out
> > dix editor novices.
>
> Couldn't the lint just run apertium-validate-dictionary first?

Yes, that might be enough.

Please note that what I suggest is to *investigate* if the error messages
are always pointing to the *source* of the error.  A comiler/validator
usually complains when it run into a problem, which is not necessarily the
same place as where the error is.

And, I'm not sure if the comiler/validator always come with a source code
line number?

I have to say that, I am just throwing out ideas and suggestions, its been
a long time since I actually worked on a language pair myself. Aaron ask
for ideas and I give what I have :-)

> Although, one issue is what to do about those who use xslt transformed
> dictionaries (e.g. using the alt attribute). I'm guessing it would be
> easier to run lint on the transformed dictionary, but not as helpful
> since line number would have changed. On the other hand, if you run lint
> on the source dictionary, it won't validate (though you can still check
> that it's well-formed XML).

Yes. As we don't have a unified common format of XSLT transformations
(novice info: this is what is called metadix) this would depend on the
language pair.

I'd say that lint checking transformed files wouldnt be helpfull - the idea
of lint is finally to show small yellow waves below places where there
might be errors. Showing them in the wrong places isnt helpfull.

Another lint task idea is to inform users on how they would integrate lint
in their editor. This might be trivial or impossible, I have no idea. But
we would need a wiki page showing/pointing to places where you can learn
how to integrate lint with some common used editors.

--
Jacob Nordfalk <https://plus.google.com/114820443085046080944>
http://javabog.dk