Hi all. In 2010 I asked about using Apertium with Berber languages. Since then,
it has become clearer how to use hfst. Also, I've released a hunspell-based
spellchecker for Kabyle Berber, so I'm much more familiar with the morphology
now, more familiar with other Berber languages too, and have promising data
sets for them. It's time to pick up Apertium again.

I'm looking at how to define my prefixes and circumfixes with hfst. I'm
familiar with general programming and with Berber linguistics, but only
superficially with transducers etc.
In the 2010 discussion, it was mentioned that "a Finnish student did
Tamazigh[t] with Xerox tools some years ago" - does anyone have a reference? Is
there an example (for any language) that I can look at regarding circumfixes?
On the wiki I found a page "Replacement_for_flag_diacritics" with a Turkish
example. I have a general idea of Turkish grammar but the intention of the
example (specifically use of +/-aor) is not clear to me. Can anyone explain?
Should I use flag diacritics or [] symbols for circumfixes?
Below is a snippet from the previous discussion regarding the quirks of Berber
languages and their likely support in hfst.

Thanks a lot for any enlightenment.

Both Beesley and Koskenniemi have given good analyses for the grid-morphology
of Semitic languages, several Ethiopic scholars have done the same (with Xerox
tools) for Amharic. Also the Berber-type circumfixes are neatly treted by the
Xerox formalism (and, I hope(!), by its open-source cousins).

that is the impression I get from a short glance at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Morocco_Tamazight as well. The Xerox
formalism handles this, and is well-documented (with Arabic as a textbook
example, solution included..., cf also koskenniemi and kataja 1988 on Akkadian)