El 2019-03-23 12:28, Hèctor Alòs i Font escribió:
Missatge de Francis Tyers <fty...@prompsit.com> del dia ds., 23 de
març 2019 a les 9:58:

El 2019-03-23 06:40, Hèctor Alòs i Font escribió:
Hi all,

I've put a preliminary proposal for GSoC 2019 at

http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Hectoralos/GSOC_2019_proposal:_Catalan-Italian_and_Catalan-Portuguese
The goal is the improve the Catalan-Italian and Catalan-Portuguese
language pairs, including the development of a translator from
Catalan
into Italian.

I will be happy to receive your comments by email or on the IRC
channel.

Dear Hèctor!

I think the proposal looks great, and you certainly have my support,
but
couldn't we persuade you to add in a prototype Corsican-->Catalan
too?
))

Fran

Hi Fran,

Thanks for you feedback!

I don't like very much "prototypes". They tend to stay in a corner,
especially when we do not have dozens of developers. The two pairs
that I propose, for example, have been published for 10 years and are
clearly improvable, but nobody has done much for them in the last ten
years.

This is true, but in addition they are already both fairly well served
by existing translation systems.

Oh wow, or maybe not, I just picked some random Wikipedia text for por->cat:

Os machos medem geralmente entre 10 e 16,6 centímetros, enquanto as fêmeas medem entre 13,5 e 19 centímetros. É possível distinguir facilmente os machos das fêmeas, devido ao dimorfismo sexual, com os machos sendo verde-amarelados e as fêmeas sendo bicolores, apresentando o dorso bege com manchas escuras. Ambos possuem o ventre branco marmoreado com marrom, além de diversas saliências dorsais. Suas glândulas parotoides são bem desenvolvidas, podendo ser encontradas atrás do olho e possuindo formato elíptico.

GOOGLE: Els mascles es troben generalment entre els 10 i els 16,6 centímetres, en forma de fêmeas medem entre 13,5 i 19 cm. Possibilitat de distingir fàcilment els sexes sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals sexuals com com com a com a com a com a com a com a com a f f f f enviar Ambos possibles i de branques de marbre amb marrom, de diverses maneres d’origen. Suas glândules parotoides são bem desenvolvidas, podent ser trobades darrere olho i possuindo formato elíptico.

YANDEX: Els homes generalment a mesurar entre 10 i 16.6 centímetres, mentre que les femelles mesuren entre el 13,5 i 19 centímetres. Els mascles es pugui distingir fàcilment de les dones a causa sexual dimorphism, amb mascles de ser de color groguenc-verd i femelles, sent bicolor, amb beix dorsus amb punts foscos. Tots dos tenen color marró amb negre ventre, i diversos dorsal emergències. La seva parotoid glàndules estan ben desenvolupats, i es troba darrere de l'ull i tenen una forma el·líptica.

Haha, classic NMT!!

Perhaps a good thing to include in the proposal might be to give an idea
of how good (WER) existing systems are for those pairs.

Corsican is, of course, a language that should be in Apertium. If
Alessandra does not choose it, my intention is to adopt it next year.
And I would not choose a Catalan-Corsican translator, because a
French-Corsican or an Italian-Corsican seem more useful, as the first
Corsican translator in Apertium.

I've been looking at what we have in Apertium for Corsican. There's
already quite a lot of work, which is very good news, for instance
13,800 nouns in the dictionary. It seems that the main verbal
paradigms are already defined, however there are 32 vblex paradigms,
while, for example, for Sardinian there are 60, for Portuguese 78 and
for Italian 143. So, this in a very good start, but I think that a
first Corsican project needs a GSoC project of its own. If strongly
recommended, I may work on a translator from Corsican into French or
Italian. In fact, I've quickly created a resource page in the Apertium
wiki: http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Corsican

Great!

Yes, French/Italian might make more sense.

Fran