From: Amr Mohamed Hosny Anwar
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 6:23:58 PM
To: apertium-stuff
Subject: GSoC 2019 project discussion - Unsupervised weighting of automata

Dear all,

My name is Amr Keleg. I am currently working as a teacher assistant at the
Computer and systems department, Faculty of engineering, Ain shams university,
Cairo, Egypt.
I have graduated from faculty of engineering, Ain shams university in 2017 as
the first of my class of 138 students.

I am interested in NLP and I am very excited to contribute to Apertium.
I worked as a full-time engineer for nearly a year and my role was implementing
a sentiment analysis model for the Arabic language but from a machine learning
point of view. I know that developing rule-based solutions requires both
efforts and deep knowledge.
I am currently pursuing my master's degree and the GSoC program will allow me
to explore the NLP field more.
I am looking forward to learning from Apertium's maintainers and developers.

I have participated in
GSoC2016<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2016/projects/5461783343005696/>
 and contributed to the GNU Octave project.
I learned a lot throughout the programme and worked with new technologies and
tools.
Since then, I have made some contributions to open source projects like:
gensim, cltk and asciinema.
I am willing to contribute to Apertium and become a regular maintainer.

I am interested in the "Unsupervised weighting of automata" project.
I have already installed Apertium and tried the Arabic-Maltese model.
I will start working on the coding challenge.
I would like to contact the project's mentors so that we can discuss the
project's details.

Thanks and looking forward to collaborating with you.

Best Regards,
Amr