> I'm guessing python3-apertium is the name of the new library from this
> GsoC. What is this other package, apertium-python? apt show gives me
> nothing.

python3-apertium as Tino is referring to it is the SWIG/Python bindings for
https://github.com/apertium/apertium. They currently export a
`apertium_core` module.

This allows for apertium-python (https://github.com/apertium/apertium-python),
the
GSoC project (from this year and last) to export an `apertium` module that
under the
hood uses bindings from the `apertium_core`, `lttoolbox`, and
`constraint_grammer`
Python packages (aspirationally also `hfst`).

Since "apertium-python" is the more user facing version, having wrappers
for analysis,
taggers, translation, etc, it should in my opinion own the `apertium`
module. Today,
if you run `pip install apertium`, it is what you get. Running `apt-get
install python3-apertium`
should be consistent with it and it would be very odd otherwise.

We chose `apertium_core` in order to avoid the naming conflict but I don't
have a great
solution as far as the Debian package goes. There weren't plans to export
the package
to Pip as well so we didn't really focus on it.

[image: Sushain Cherivirala]
*Sushain K. Cherivirala*
Stripe, Software Engineer
Stanford University, M.S. in Computer Science '19
Carnegie Mellon University, B.S. in Computer Science '18
(713) 992-4043 | www.skc.name