Hi there,

It seems that, for security reasons, its not permitted anymore for apps to
download executable code from unknown sources and execute it.

So, Apertium_Android <http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Apertium_Android> is
currently unavialable
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.apertium.android

Same goes for Mikel Artetxe's Mitzuli version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mitzuli

They are both using Lttoolbox-java
<http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Lttoolbox-java>.
Google probably found out as we use .jar file format (which is essentially
a ZIP file) as distribution mechanism (see Language_pair_packages
<http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Language_pair_packages>) - here is an example
<https://svn.code.sf.net/p/apertium/svn/builds/apertium-eo-en/apertium-eo-en.jar>
.

While I totally agree with the principle of not downloading code from
unknown sources, I recon that this is essentially what the
Bytecode_for_transfer <http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Bytecode_for_transfer> -
is:  Java bytecode representing the transfer stage downloaded and executed
with no security measures.

I can see the following options:
1) Change the distribution mechanism to be via Google Play
2) Distribute the transfer files as XML and generate the bytecode on-device
3) Give up on bytecode for tranfer (transfer will be much slower)
4) Try to make C++ version of lttoolbox, apertium (CG, HFS,...) usable in
Android
5) Give up on offline functionality

While 3) was really terribly slowing transfer down 10 years ago, our
computers have got faster. And most pairs are using constraint
grammar which is also very slow, compared to the rest of the pipeline, so
it might not be an issue anymore.

I like 2) the most - moving the transfer compilation to the device
wouldnt be that hard, and I'd be happy to take part of it.
But the community was never very positive to the idea of Java/cross
platform, and Im not very active anymore, so perhaps 4) or 5) would be best.

What do you think?

Yours,
Jacob