Hi Per,

To add to what Daniel said, language data installed from apt is put in
system directories as root, and is not good for doing dev work.

As a fairly up-to-date Apertium language data developer, I don't know the
path of system-installed language data off the top of my head (you can
always run dpkg -L apertium-swe to find out) and I'm not even sure it
includes the uncompiled dictionaries.  Maybe I'm just an elite developer
without my pulse on the needs of actual Apertium users.

But I do recommend what Daniel suggested—that would be the easiest
approach, imo.

--
Jonathan