Speaking as a language developer,¹ I prefer concise, textual tags.

E.g., I don't think <surfaceform:hargle> is good—it clogs the stream
with verbosity, as Fran points out.

On the other hand, I don't mind symbols here and there, like <§agent>.
But I don't think this is a good secondary tag, unless we make it very
explicit which unicode spans/classes can be used to define secondary
tags.

I don't like tags like <:human>, unless we are explicit about
considering this a special way of encoding *semantic category*
information in secondary tags.

Fran, regarding these last two points, could you define what each
symbol in your example tags stands for, and what range/class of
symbols can continue to be used for secondary tags?

¹ Qualification: not one that's developed a released pair from start
to finish, but that's mostly because my attention is too divided...  I
do have decent amounts of experience with the entire pipeline, though,
and experience working on all pipeline stages in several individual
pairs (including one approaching release / "in nursery").

--
Jonathan

8 may 2020, C. tarixində 14:02 tarixində Hèctor Alòs i Font