> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 14:09:55 +0200
> From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unham...@fsfe.org>
> To: apertium-stuff@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Apertium-stuff] Apertium used by investigative journalists
>  studying leaks
>

> I came across this article about various FOSS tools used by journalists
> digging through a data leak:
> https://www.icij.org/investigations/luanda-leaks/how-we-mined-more-than-715000-luanda-leaks-records
>> where they mention using Apertium to avoid sharing sensitive information:
>
>     With more than half of the documents written in Portuguese, digging
>     into the leak was even more challenging – the majority of
>     journalists working on this project were not fluent in
>     Portuguese. For security and source-protection reasons, we wanted to
>     avoid common online machine-translation tools (such as Google
>     Translate or DeepL) and, instead, have the translation directly
>     available on Datashare. So we decided to use an open-source piece of
>     software called Apertium. Our team wrapped Apertium within a
>     command-line tool that was able to translate any language pair
>     directly into Datashare. We published the code of this tool on
>     Github.
>
> Great that we have such free software translation tools available :)

Nice yes.

Local translations can also be done using several proprietary software,
but a command line translator can be more convenient for big texts.

The problem is what source and target language they need ?

Apertium language pairs developpers are people who feel able to work
on a particular language pair and who often speak well at least one
language of the pair. There are several groups of close languages with
several pairs for translating fom one language of the group to the
other : romance languages, north germanic languages, turkic languages,
uralic languages, slavic languages ... but few bridges between these
groups.

--------------------------------
Bernard Chardonneau (France)
Phone : [33] 9 72 36 32 90
GSM phone : [33] 7 69 46 16 31

An alternative Apertium translation website :
http://apertiumtrad.tuxfamily.org

Multilingual websites for my free softwares :
http://libremail.free.fr and http://libremail.tuxfamily.org
http://cyloop.tuxfamily.org (mainly translated with Apertium)

My general website (in french only)
http://bech.free.fr