Missatge de Tanmai Khanna <khanna.tan...@gmail.com> del dia dv., 4 de set.
2020 a les 9:22:

> [...]
>> you? There aren't any <b/> in the rule, but <b pos="1,2..."/>, which is not
>> the same. Until now, <b/> means explicitly putting a blank, while <b
>> pos="1,2..."/> means copying to the output whatever is in the input in a
>> given point.
>>

> <b pos="1,2..."/> and <b/> now do exactly the same thing. You don't need
> to replace all of the former with the latter but even if you do or don't it
> won't change anything. Until now it meant what you said but now it means
> that if you see a <b/> or a <b pos="1,2,etc."/> then print one blank from
> the blank queue in the output.
>
> Superblanks most of the time are blanks, but, as you now probably know
>> better than anyone else, they can be lots of things; they can even contain
>> no blanks at all. Even in some cases, like in Romance-language enclitics,
>> we know there shouldn't be any blank at all before them, but we had to
>> add <b pos="1,2..."/> for not loosing information on italics, bold letters,
>> etc.
>>

> You're right, except now we have a completely different system to deal
> with italics, bold letters, and all markup, i.e. wordbound blanks, which
> aren't considered blanks. Now that there is no information to lose, we
> didn't want to burden the people who write transfer rules to explicitly
> define positions of blanks. In cases where you don't want a space in the
> output, you just don't put a <b pos="1,2"/> in the output rule.
>

>> I'm not really ready to change all <b pos="1,2..."/> in the hundreds of
>> rules I've been writing in several language pairs. Specifically for
>> apertium-fra-frp, I hope it will be able to publish it before the new
>> version of the Apertium core you are preparing, so they are needed right
>> now.
>>

> You won't have to change all of them. Most of them will work as it is. The
> new system prints blanks in the same order as they were input, so it won't
> harm most of the rules. The *only thing *you'll have to change, is rules
> where you don't want a space in the output between LUs, you remove the <b
> pos="1"/> from those rules. This is because now, an empty blank isn't
> considered a blank anymore. This was because we want the users to have
> control about whether they want a blank or not between their output LUs,
> regardless of the input blanks. If we consider an empty blank, your problem
> will be solved, but other problems will come up, where empty blanks will
> appear in the output regardless of <b/>s in the output.
>
> So to conclude, the only thing you need to remove is the <b pos="1"/> from
> rules where you know you don't want a space in the output, like num_n, and
> maybe some enclitics. Apart from that, everything will work as it is. To
> improve the system, at some point we'll have to add a change that isn't
> strictly backwards compatible, and several people agree that after
> wordbound blanks, we should stop handling blank positions in transfer rules.

The problem is that in 99% of the cases I want a blank in num_n, that is
between the numeral and the name. In most of the cases we have "two cows",
"3 dogs", etc. In Romance languages, the rule is needed mostly for gender
agreement. The problem is that sometimes, as we see, we got something else.
So the question is not whether I want a blank there or not. I want whatever
was there. So, let me try to formulate it in another way. If I want to
preserve what was written between two words, I shouldn't write <b
pos="1,2..."/>, but if I want to add a blank, I have to add <b/>. Am I
right? If this is correct, it comes to remove all <b pos="1,2..."/>. It
seems it would be easier that they wouldn't be taken into account, and thus
avoiding any change in the language pairs. Am I missing something?

Hèctor