Hèctor Alòs i Font <hectoralos-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org>
čálii:

> I am more sceptical about the need to distinguish between toponyms and
> hydronyms. In some languages one will have an article and the other will
> not, but these are rare cases. On the other hand, we do not distinguish
> between countries (or regions) and cities, which in French is quite
> important both for generating the article and the preposition preceding it,
> if you translate from Catalan or Spanish: for instance, "New-York" is the
> city, but "le New-York" is the state, so will have "à New-York" or "au
> New-York" for "in New-York" (or "à Paris" but "en France").  The generation
> of articles may also not be the same whether "Barcelona" stands for the
> city or the (football or whatever) team, nor is the gender often the same.
> So, are we then going to create more and more subtypes ad nauseam? Better
> not!
>
> In short, we can find casuistries in certain pairs that may make us think
> that some distinctions are appropriate, but adding them in monolingual
> dictionaries and forcing them to be maintained for all languages seems
> doubtful to me.

So the city-vs-region distinction is only useful for target (structural)
generation, not source analysis/disambiguation/anaphora. I think that
can be a good guide to when something should be in monodixen or not.

One solution here would be to add it in bidix (with a pardef so you
don't need it when going the other way) and strip it in transfer, or
even just use a def-list in the transfer files.