Hèctor Alòs i Font <hectoralos-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org>
čálii:

> Enunciatives are a kind of adverbs that are put just before verbs in main
> clauses (although they can also be found in subordinate clauses too). For
> affirmative clauses, it works like the English reinforcement "do" in "I do
> like", but it is syntactically compulsory for enunciative users, so it's
> not seen as a reinforcement. The problem is that for affirmative clauses
> the enunciative is "que", which can be cnjsub (=that), rel (=that, which),
> prn.itg (=what, which) and a comparative (=than). Note that cnjsub, rel and
> prn.itg are often right in front of the verb in Occitan too. For negative,
> interrogative and exclamatory clauses other words can be used, but also
> "que"... which makes all the thing a big mess. (And there are more with
> dubitative, emphatic, etc. meanings).
>
> As for your proposal, I do not yet have sufficient knowledge of CG to fully
> understand it. My idea would be to make a first pass through a whole text
> to understand if enunciatives are used in it (for example, recognising
> other, more infrequent, but more easily recognisable enunciatives). In the
> solution you propose, it seems that this knowledge is acquired
> progressively, as sentences are translated. I fear that "que" is so messy
> that at least the first sentences of a text would have the same problems as
> we have now when we translate a Gascon text without enunciatives.

That should be possible too, though I'm not sure how feasible it is to
get CG to go that far into a text. By default, CG keeps a context of two
windows, but that's configurable. It should be possible (perhaps with
minor modifications to cg-proc) to read a bunch of sentences and use
Window Spanning tests https://visl.sdu.dk/cg3/single/#test-spanning

Tino, have you tried looking ahead several paragraphs, are there any
downsides? This should be a fairly simple rule file.

> This sounds perfect for Occitan. Is there a documentation in the wiki?

There is! See:
https://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Dialectal_or_standard_variation#Overlapping_variants