Yes, most of our tools assume that tags are position independent, but
I've come across a handful of languages that treat some tags as
position dependent, and I was more hoping to make it official to make
it less likely that we run into issues with that.

Also, I have an idea for how to make a version of lt-proc -g that
accepts the tags in any order, which might be helpful for reducing
generation errors, though it may turn out to be too much of a slowdown
for production.

Daniel