-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Special Edition: Uncovering the truth about torture
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 17:55:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: ACLU Online <acluonl...@aclu.org>
To: a...@apfn.org

*********************************
ACLU Online Special Edition
UNCOVERING THE TRUTH ABOUT TORTURE

May 1, 2009
*********************************

In This Issue:

-- Bush's House of Cards Begins to Fall

-- More Than 250,000 People Demand Accountability

-- Obama Answers Question on Torture. What about Accountability?

-- Government Records about the Treatment of Detainees at Bagram Should
be Released

-- Defense Department to Release Prisoner Abuse Photos

-- Judge to CIA: Produce Documents

*********************************
Bush's House of Cards Begins to Fall

By Jameel Jaffer, Director,
ACLU National Security Project

The Bush administration built an
elaborate house of cards to justify torture, but thanks in part to
some recent ACLU victories, the house of cards is finally beginning to
fall.

Over the last few weeks, we've secured the release of the Bush
administration's torture memos and won an important appeals
court ruling in our challenge to Jeppesen DataPlan's involvement
in the CIA's rendition program. We are also anticipating the
release of torture photographs that the Bush administration managed to
suppress for years.

These victories didn't happen overnight. In fact, the ACLU first
filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request on the treatment of
prisoners on October 7, 2003. Since then, ACLU lawyers and cooperating
lawyers have filed dozens of legal briefs and appeared at dozens of
court hearings. ACLU suits have resulted in the release of more than
100,000 pages of government documents relating to the abuse and
torture of prisoners in U.S. custody. We were gratified to finally get
the Bush administration's torture memos on April 16, but
it's worth noting that it took us several years to get them. We
wouldn't have been able to invest that time without your
consistent support.

*  Earlier this week, a federal appeals court overturned a decision
that would have dismissed the ACLU's case against Jeppesen
DataPlan, a subsidiary of the Boeing Corporation that
facilitated the CIA's rendition program. The Bush
administration -- and then the Obama administration -- had
argued that the case could not be litigated without the
disclosure of "state secrets. " However, we asked
the court of appeals to overturn that decision, and it did. Now
our case can move forward and our clients -- victims of the
CIA's rendition program -- can have their day in court.
*  In connection with our long-running Freedom of Information Act
litigation, the Department of Defense has agreed to release, by
May 28, a substantial number of photos depicting the abuse of
prisoners by U.S. personnel.
*  In the same lawsuit, the judge has ordered the CIA to disclose
records related to the agency's destruction of 92 videotapes.
The tapes captured CIA interrogators waterboarding prisoners in
their custody.

We're now focused on ensuring comprehensive transparency about
the torture program and on ensuring that those who authorized torture
are held accountable for it.

As the stories in this special edition of ACLU Online indicate, the
ACLU is at the forefront of exposing the truth of the Bush
administration's illegal torture program. We're grateful
for the support you've given us, and we ask for your continued
support as we press for accountability.

Thank you for standing with us.

*********************************
More Than 250,000 People Demand Accountability

By Jeani Murray, ACLU National Field Director

Attorney General Eric
Holder heard the voices of more than a quarter million Americans who
called on him to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate torture
and detainee abuse.

ACLU activists and members of the Stop Torture Now coalition delivered
more than 250,000 petition signatures to the Attorney General during a
Justice Department budget hearing on Capitol Hill. The pressure from
concerned citizens like you on members of Congress made sure Holder
was asked tough questions about the recently released torture memos
and his plan to seek accountability.

Appropriations Committee Chair, Rep. David Obey (D-Wisc.), opened the
hearing stating that the recently-released memos definitely described
torture. The ACLU staff present at the hearing knew right then and
there that all our hard work to deliver the petitions had paid off. As
the hearing continued, member after member sought the Attorney
General's view on the issue of prosecutions and asked for his
thoughts on what actions to take.

At one point, Holder said, "It is my responsibility as the Attorney
General to enforce the law. If I see wrongdoing, I will pursue it to
the full extent of the law."

That's encouraging news -- especially since Holder said
unequivocally that waterboarding was torture during his confirmation
hearing. But we all know the political realities of getting there.

There's still a lot of work to be done to hold accountable those
who authorized and implemented Bush's illegal torture program. You can be sure the ACLU will continue to keep you informed on the next steps and how you can continue to take action.

*********************************
Obama Answers Questions on Torture. What about Accountability?

On Wednesday, President Obama marked 100 days in office. Without a
doubt, the Obama administration has a markedly different tone and
attitude towards the rule of law and transparency, and should be
commended for the steps taken to end unlawful Bush-era national
security policies, including:

*  Issuing executive orders to close of the prison at Guantánamo
and end the military commissions.
*  Declaring that America will not torture, and ordering a review
of interrogation policies.
*  Issuing sweeping new reforms on the Freedom of Information Act,
with an overall presumption of disclosure of government
information.
*  Showing a commitment to transparency by releasing the Bush
administration torture memos on April 16.

With the recent revelations of the barbaric interrogation techniques
authorized by the Bush administration, the question of torture has
been at the forefront of the national conversation. Before President
Obama's 100 days press conference on Wednesday, thousands of
ACLU supporters pressured the media to ask the president about the
torture revelations and his commitment to the rule of law. His
affirmation that America is "...banning torture without exception" is
reassuring.

"In some cases, it may be harder, but part of what makes us, I think,
still a beacon to the world is that we are willing to hold true to our
ideals even when it's hard, not just when it's easy," President Obama
said.

But, there is still a lot to be done and a lot of questions
unanswered. Will the Justice Department hold accountable those who
authorized torture? How will Guantánamo be closed? Will the
administration uphold its commitment to transparency and the rule of
law?

These past 100 days have been promising, but rest assured, the ACLU
will not let its guard down. We'll continue to press the new
administration to live up to this country's highest ideals.

*********************************
Landmark ACLU Rendition Case to Go Forward

On Wednesday, the ACLU Human Rights Program and National Security
Project won a crucial ruling in our Jeppesen DataPlan
"extraordinary rendition" lawsuit, allowing the suit to
move forward. This exciting win means that  for the first time  a U.S.
court has held that men who were kidnapped, sent to secret prisons
overseas, and tortured at the hands of (or at the behest of) the U.S.
government will finally have their day in court.

This lawsuit charges Jeppesen DataPlan (a Boeing subsidiary) with
enabling the Bush administration's unlawful "extraordinary
rendition" program. Until now, this challenge had been stymied
by the Bush and then Obama administration's improper invocation
of the "state secrets" privilege.

The court of appeals decision reversed a lower court's dismissal
of the lawsuit, which upheld the government's position that
allowing the case to proceed would undermine U.S. national security
interests. This week's ruling categorically rejected that
argument and says that the government may only invoke the state
secrets privilege with respect to specific evidence, not to dismiss
the entire lawsuit from the outset - a position that we've
argued all along.

"This historic decision marks the beginning, not the end, of this
litigation," said Ben Wizner, staff attorney with the ACLU National
Security Project, who argued the case for the plaintiffs. "Our
clients, who are among the hundreds of victims of torture under the
Bush administration, have waited for years just to get a foot in the
courthouse door. Now, at long last, they will have their day in court.
This ruling demolishes once and for all the legal fiction, advanced by
the Bush administration and continued by the Obama administration,
that facts known throughout the world could be deemed 'secrets' in a
court of law."

http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=qYpYrTel36Go5xRcD8-OmA..

>>Check out an interview of Ben Wizner discussing the case with
Glenn Greenwald at Salon.com.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=4O3SO7QS2sZe_2sO5wju-g..

*********************************
Government Records about the Treatment of Detainees at Bagram Should
be Released

Last week, the ACLU filed a Freedom of Information Act request seeking
records about the detention and treatment of prisoners in U.S. custody
at the Bagram Airfield prison in Afghanistan.

The ACLU is requesting release of basic information, including how
many people are imprisoned at Bagram, who they are, how long
they've been detained, and where and under what circumstances
they were captured. We're also requesting records about the
process for prisoners to challenge their detention and designation as
"enemy combatants." The request was sent to the Departments of
Justice, State, Defense and the CIA.

Many fear that Bagram is (or may soon be) the "next Guantánamo," yet
the public knows practically nothing about what's happening
there. It's reported that the U.S. is detaining as many as 600
prisoners at Bagram; this includes not only Afghans captured in
Afghanistan but also non-Afghans captured thousands of miles away and
rendered (or sent) to Bagram. At least two Bagram prisoners have died
while in U.S. custody there -- deaths Army investigators concluded
were homicides.

Some Bagram prisoners have been held as long as six years without
charge or access to counsel. A federal judge recently found that the
meager opportunity Bagram prisoners get to challenge their detention
is even more inadequate than the process Guantánamo prisoners received
-- a process the Supreme Court found unconstitutional last year.

In late February, the Obama administration stunned many human rights
advocates when the Justice Department asserted in court that detainees
at Bagram have no right to challenge their detention, a holdover
policy from the Bush administration. Earlier this month, a federal
judge disagreed, ruling that three prisoners being held by the U.S. at
Bagram can challenge their detention in U.S. courts. The Justice
department is appealing that decision.

As President Obama deliberates about how to close Guantánamo, scrutiny
of U.S. detention policies will only intensify. And what the U.S.
government is doing (or planning to do) at Bagram is a big piece of
that puzzle. We cannot close Guantánamo only to permit 'other
Gitmos' to exist in other places.

*********************************
Defense Department to Release Prisoner Abuse Photos

The Department of Defense announced that it will make public by May 28
a "substantial number" of photos depicting the abuse of prisoners by
U.S. personnel. The photos, which are being released in response to a
Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by the ACLU in 2004, include
images from prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan at locations other than
Abu Ghraib.

The public value of these images is considerable. They convey what
words could not possibly communicate and undermine the Bush
administration's claim that abuse was aberrational. These images
are also critical to help the public understand the scope and scale of
prisoner abuse as well as the extent to which such abuse was caused by
policy decisions. Disclosure is also crucial for assessing official
responsibility for the abuse.

>> Learn more about the effort to release these photos.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=SnJ8TcS8NPwizOpU8-YsiA..

*********************************
Judge to CIA: Produce Documents

Last Friday, a federal judge rejected the CIA's attempt to
withhold records related to 92 videotapes that the agency destroyed.
The tapes, which depict the harsh interrogation of CIA prisoners, are
subject of a motion to hold the CIA in contempt in an ongoing ACLU
Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

Previously, the CIA said it would produce records relating to the
contents of the videotapes for August 2002 only. Last week's
order from the judge, however, requires the CIA to produce records
from April through December 2002 that relate to the content of the
tapes, as well as documents from April 2002 through June 2003 that
relate to the destruction of the tapes and information about the
persons and reasons behind their destruction.

The judge also ordered the government to reconsider the extent of
redactions it intends to make to the documents in light of the four
relatively un-redacted secret torture memos that the Justice
Department released on April 16. The court also ordered the government
to explain whether contempt proceedings would interfere with a federal
criminal investigation into the destruction of the tapes led by
prosecutor John Durham.

Recent disclosures about the CIA's torture program confirm that
the agency has no basis to continue withholding records. The public
has a right to know what was on those destroyed videotapes, who
authorized their destruction, and why and the CIA must be held
accountable for its flagrant disregard for the rule of law.

>> Learn about our motion to hold the CIA in contempt for
destroying the tapes.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=61SBwDI61YPteOpUYobCvA..

*********************************
Your membership is the life-blood of our organization, and makes
possible all that we do to defend our most basic liberties.

If you'd like to make a gift to support the ACLU,
please click below:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=WGV32SqpyvFgrq2b_y4slg..

*********************************
Tell Your Friends

http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=QZ5SOoZRgaf8jAdHvOPCtg..

Do you know somebody who would be interested in getting news about the
ACLU and what we're doing to protect civil liberties? Help us spread
the word about ACLU Online -- forward this newsletter to a
friend.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=0Ss3LW9q3wvhBDc4Rh5Owg..

*********************************

American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, New York 10004-2400
Geraldine Engel, Lisa Sock
and Shannon Scanlan, Editors

Privacy Statement
This mail is never sent unsolicited. You, or someone on your behalf,
has subscribed to receive this information from the American Civil
Liberties Union. At the ACLU Web site, the ACLU gathers anonymous
summary statistics on the responses to our email newsletters in order
to better serve list subscribes and ACLU members. To review our
Privacy Statement, click here.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=DDoSIrWd3P8rE1aLEPttkw..

Click here to forward this message.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=0PH3o2I3v7QOCfuFOOCthg..

Privacy Statement
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=BuG3xW8YyNDNv85fWurRGQ..

We Can Put All Our Farmers Back To Work Tomorrow

 APFN-1 YahooGroups:

APFN MSG BOARD:
`In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.'
http://disc.server.com/Indices/234999.html

APFN CONTENTS PAGE:
http://www.apfn.org/old/apfncont.htm

"RADIO YOUR WAY" APFN POGO NETWORK ((  WOW!!  ))
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of
good conscience to remain silent"  -- Thomas Jefferson
http://www.apfn.net/POGO.HTM

Find elected officials, including the president, members of
Congress, governors, state legislators, local officials, and more.
http://congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

APFN,
PMB 206, 7549 W. CACTUS RD. #104, PEORIA, AZ 85381