On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Hans Zybura <hzyb...@zybura.com> wrote:
> [...]

That is a fair comment.   I think we all agree that we should not make
a disruptive change to the API with only a day's notice.  But neither
should we say that changes are impossible over a decade.  We need
something in the middle.  The API exists for extension authors,
current ones as well as potential future ones.  So feedback from them
is of course very valuable.

I see the logic as:  If you must make incompatible changes, do it in a
major release.  But I don't think the inverse is true:  If you make a
major release you must make incompatible changes.

How much time is required to adapt an extension to API changes?  What
is fair?  A month?  A quarter?   Look at iOS app authors.  A new iOS
version comes out and they have updates available a day or two later.
OK, they probably get technical information in advance from Apple.
But that is why we have this list, to coordinate such changes.

I also like the idea of marking a function as deprecated, maybe even
supporting the new and old together for a release, to give time for
transition.

-Rob