Most of the process of building software in this list resume to the build
of extensions. Extensions are small applications that can sit on top of
larger ones (like OpenOffice). I will recommend to read some of the
extensions written in the past. Specially in your language of choice (Java)
along with the snippets on the wiki.

There is a segment on the Developer guide that talk about extensions as
well.
LanguageTools: https://languagetool.org/
source:
https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/tree/master/languagetool-office-extension/src/main/java/org/languagetool/openoffice