> On 25-Aug-2022, at 12:52, aftab.siddi...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Gaurav,
> Thanks for your comments
>
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2022 at 16:31, Gaurav Kansal <gaurav.kan...@nic.in
> <mailto:gaurav.kan...@nic.in>> wrote:
> We should avoid un-limited number of terms for any member in any role, like
> max 2 consecutive tenure for any post and a cool off period of 2-4 years for
> next tenure and have a max limit on an individual member tenures.
>
> NRC is for review of all elected community nominations. For this particular
> suggestion, you have to change SIG guidelines, NRO-NC election procedure and
> also the APNIC bylaws. This change is out of the scope of NRC but your point
> is taken and NRC can publish the number of years a candidate has already
> served on a particular seat.
For NomCom or NRC, or whatever for this proposal is, don’t it need the same
approvals, which are required for bringing the reforms in the current election
processes ? As per the timeline/stages section, it look like this
document/proposal is pushed from the top to the bottom and set timelines are
very stringent. Don’t it be better if we have the election and voting rights
reforms before this NRC/NomCom ?
Also, what’s the general trend in APNIC w.r.t. proposals ? Is it top-down
approach or bottom-up approach, as this proposal is first reviewed by the top
and then shared with the community, so is it a general trend in APNIC ? I am
considering that APNIC doesn’t think that elected members or the APNIC leaders
are the only wise members in this region.

> This will help in bringing the new blood into the system and will be able to
> achieve geographical diversity , plus a rotation will be able to help us in
> catching the flaws/frauds in the very early stages.
>
> If you read the document then you will understand how we are supporting at
> least the geographical diversity in the NRC. While I do support your point of
> geographical diversity, to make it clear Diversity is not about geography
> only and we have to make APNIC more inclusive at every level.
>
> from geographical pov
> EC - 7 members representing 7 different economies
> NRO NC - 3 members 3 different economies
> SIG - Routing Security - 3 members 3 economies
> SIG - Cooperation - 2 members 2 economies
> SIG - NIR - 2 members 2 economies
> SIG - Policy - 3 members 3 economies
>
> Out of these 20 elected members there are at least 15 different economies
> represented here out of 56 economies of APNIC service region.
>
> We have to think and achieve the resilience so that we should be in a same
> position of AFRINIC.
>
> Any further suggestions to improve the NRC?

In one of the discussions, I proposed for building the appropriate resilience
at various levels of the core institutions of APNIC in order to prevent any
major disruptions to the operations of APNIC. To start with we can explore the
feasibility of setting up a regional office of APNIC in any other member
country and distribute some of the resources of APNIC across different
geographies, So that any legal/regulatory actions of one host country doesn't
bring the operations of APNIC to a standstill.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get views of APNIC on this.

Thanks,
Gaurav Kansal