Hi Matthew

Thanks for your questions and also for being the first to kick off
discussion about the changes on APNIC-TALK.

APNIC EC Limited is a company limited by guarantee.  The members and
directors of APNIC EC Limited will be the APNIC Executive Council, with the
exception of a director from APNIC staff who may be appointed to meet the
requirements for Australian resident directors (there must be two at all
times).

APNIC Members have not been made members of APNIC EC Limited as the right to
be a member (and director) of that company is limited to the APNIC EC, so
APNIC's Members retain control of who will be appointed by virtue of the EC
elections. This avoids additional costs, duplication of administration, and
also ensures that we do not have competing election processes which could
create misalignment between the APNIC EC and the board of APNIC EC Limited.

As to why we haven't converted APNIC Pty Ltd to a public company limited by
guarantee, this is because it is not possible under Australian law.  To make
such a change would mean setting up a new company and transferring all
members, employees, contracts, assets, and property.  This would take
significant time, expense, and (as you alluded to) have major tax
consequences, for limited benefit.

Finally, with Proposal 4 - the requirement to able to be registered as a
Director of an Australian company already exists by law, so there isn't a
need for it to be explicitly stated. However, if the Members feel it is
beneficial to state this then it could be added.

Kind regards

Jeremy

---

Jeremy Harrison