Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2012 schrieb John Johansen:
> A bit of history, and where we are at now

Thanks for the history lesson!
Can you please store your text (or a link to it) in the wiki? It would
be a pity if it's hidden in the mailinglist archive.

TL;DR summary from IRC:
    The plan is basically that a program initially started as unconfined
    can be switched to a profile later.

> So what is left to do so we can "replace" the unconfined profile
>  - provide a method of marking a profile as immutable (so some
> unconfined or other profiles can be marked as immutable if needed by
> the policy)

If you combine that with denying write access to the profile in
/etc/apparmor.d/ system-wide, you'll have a really hard time if you need
to change the profile *g*

Besides that, I hope not too many profiles will be immutable - rebooting
a server just to reload a profile isn't really what I want ;-)
OTOH, there's the added security that a root exploit can't abused to
change or remove those profiles.

Hmmm, the answer if immutable profiles are a good idea or not probably
depends on your level of paranoia ;-)

> So what decisions are left to be made?
> - should the unconfined profile show up in profile listings?

I tend to say no.

> - should a profile replacing unconfined be allowed to be called
> unconfined? That is a profile that replaces unconfined isn't really a
> special unconfined state any more, should we not allow its
> replacement to be called unconfined so as to not cause confusion
> there, or do we allow it to avoid confusion caused by the next point

"unconfined" should mean unconfined - in other words: it should never be
changed.

Use a profile name like "default_profile" or whatever you like - but not
"unconfined".

> - should replacing the unconfined profile actual replace the profile
> or just task instance using the profile?  That is to say what is the
> behavior of
>
>    /foo ux,  # does this enter the profile that replaced unconfined or
> does it enter the unconfined profile, or does it fail

That's as confusing as my (non-random) sig - and shows why we shouldn't
change the meaning of "unconfined".

If you want the new default_profile, use px -> default_profile.

>    same questions for
>
>    /foo px -> unconfined,

I'd make that a parser error - something like "invalid/reserved profile
name". If you want unconfined, use ux. Period.

>    and for change_profile ->unconfined,

Argh, this one is trickier ;-) because we have no existing rule syntax
to do that.

Does it really make sense to allow a program to leave its profile?
I don't really like this idea...

> - should there be a way to replace the unconfined profiles in all
> namespaces? Currently this would be on a namespace by namespace
> basis.

See above - if it never changes, there's no need to replace it ;-)

> - should a sub-namespace inherit the "unconfined" profile from its
> parent? Currently namespaces don't inherit profiles but unconfined is
> special and that might be the right decision for them, nor would it
> break current semantics in that it could be said that new namespaces
> inherit their parents unconfined profile (which just can't be
> replaced currently).

Are you talking about "really unconfined" or "default_profile" here?

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer