On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 12:09:08AM +0000, Seth Arnold wrote:
> Use $MAKE instead, that way the jobserver can keep informed about how many
> jobs sub-makes are using.
>
> I do like that ./configure --prefix makes selecting between /usr and
> /usr/local easy but I have trouble seeing what else it gives us.

Sanity for shared library creation (libtool, pkg-config, etc), automatic
handling of finding functions (e.g. I'm building on Debian kfreebsd...),
and finding dep version (e.g. swig, perl, python, ruby, apache). Trying to
do all this by hand is a waste of time -- all of the needed logic already
exists in autoconf/automake.

> From: Christian Boltz <appar...@cboltz.de>
> [...]
>
> I'd guess even more people understand plain Makefiles ;-) and I can
> guarantee you that nearly nobody understands the automake-generated
> Makefiles (reading them might be needed to track down build issues)

It's extremely rare to need to look at anything by the Makefile.am.

> Well, I remember (from another project) that plain Makefiles can work
> with subdirs without problems. Something like this will work as Makefile
> in the top-level directory (untested braindump)

Right. When I redesigned the Inkscape build system, the final result
was a single top-level Makefile (generated by autoconf and automake),
that allowed for full parallelization of the build, etc. It was extremely
nice. We can easily get there, but doing the migration is going to take a
few steps.

> And now tell me how automake can make things simpler than this ;-)

I know it'll be hard to convince you, but without being too flippant, the
automake version of your example is a single line, just "SUBDIRS = ...". :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook