On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 03:27:24PM -0700, Tyler Hicks wrote:
> > dbus [address spec] acquire,   # unchanged
> > dbus [address spec] -> [address spec], # unidirectional
> > dbus [address spec] <- [address spec], # unidirectional
> > dbus [address spec] <-> [address spec], # bidirectional

> I'm all for making the arrows match their meaning when read, but I don't
> like the idea of arrows pointing in different directions (such as <-).

Hrm, the direction is important in this case; it's what differentiates a
client able to make any request and receive the responses:

dbus bus=session -> ,

from a server able to respond to any request:

dbus bus=session <- ,

from a program that can send and receive any dbus messages it wants, but
can't acquire a name:

dbus bus=session <-> ,

Perhaps these are a bit fringe cases :) but it demonstrate why the arrow
would need at least three different 'settings', to represent the three
cases of (send, receive, send+receive)...

> Also, DBus messages are sent from a connection. They are received on a
> connection with a certain path, interface, and member name. This
> asymmetry makes the bidirectional arrows confusing when the path,
> interface, and/or member name are specified in the rule.

Hrm. I hadn't really considered this assymetry with any of the other
proposed syntaxes either. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Thanks