Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2014 schrieb Steve Beattie:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 01:29:31AM +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:
> > Sorry for the terrible quoting, anyway:
> > Does it really make sense to have two spaces in front of # ?
>
> It's pep8's error 261. From running pep8 with the --show-pep8
> argument:
>
>   vim/create-apparmor.vim.py:91:96: E261 at least two spaces before
> inline comment Separate inline comments by at least two spaces.
>
>       An inline comment is a comment on the same line as a
> statement.  Inline comments should be separated by at least two
> spaces from the statement. They should start with a # and a single
> space.

> Now, I could be convinced to include E261 as another one to ignore, if
> that is the group's consensus. I do want to add make targets that run
> pyflakes and pep8 checks on our python code, so it'd be good to have
> an agreed upon list; pyflakes in particular will catch some errors,
> often times in exception cases that aren't always covered in testing.

Well, if we can easily change the code to pass E261 [1], there's nothing
wrong with it. I hope the pep8 devs thought about the two spaces a bit
before adding the rule and have/had a good reason to add it, so I don't
see a problem with following it.

Personally, I think one space would be enough, but two don't hurt. And I
like the test to enforce a space after the # - that makes the comments a
bit easier readable.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] hint: adding some spaces sounds quite easy ;-)
--
Super-PC von IBM - der erste 486er im Test
[Titelseite der Chip 8/1989]