I have been thinking that with stacking extensions landing in userspace
it is time to bump the userspace from 2.xx to 3.xx versions. The stacking
extensions are the first feature to really expose the labeling work that
has been going on in the kernel to userspace, and I would like to keep
the userspace some what in sync with the kernel module versioning. The
kernel module versioning I have been using is based around internal
architecture more than specific supported features, though certain
architectures do imply support for certain features. The kernel versions
can be broken down as

* apparmor 2.0: LSM rewrite.
* apparmor 2.1: dfa & and invasive VFS hooks patch
* apparmor 2.5: creds & LSM path hooks rewrite
* apparmor 3: internal labeling - a development series that was a precursor
  to type splitting. Carried by Ubuntu but never upstreamed
* apparmor 3.5: stacking which exposes compound task labeling to user
  interfaces. Again carried by ubuntu but never upstreamed.
* apparmor 4: type splitting (target for upstreaming)
* apparmor 5: Delegation

obviously the apparmor 4 and 5 kernels haven't happened yet so their
versioning isn't set in stone. Ideally we will only have one or two user
space releases in the 3.xx series and then hopefully we will have the
apparmor 4 kernel module upstreamed and can transition a 4.xx versioning.