On Sat, 2018-07-07 at 21:33 +0200, intrigeri wrote:

> > > With that said /var/cache isn't terrible and is better that /etc/
> > > for most modern linux systems. I will also throw in the proviso
> > > that
> > > I don't mess with this area much and Jamie or Steve are better
> > > people
> > > to comment on this.
> > >

> > It continues to be a tricky problem. I think mostly we really need
> > make sure the binary policy is on the same partition as the text
> > policy.
>
> As you needed in the message I'm replying to, we run
> After=local-fs.target, so I don't understand this part. I know you
> have experience with shipping AppArmor policy (and the corresponding
> cache) in /var so I'm sure I'm missing something. To enlighten me,
> can
> you please explain why this is a requirement or point to examples of
> why it's a tricky problem?

With this directive, the requirement isn't needed, but of course this
only is going to be true on systemd-enabled systems. For non-systemd
systems, then this requirement stands.

> FTR, according to Christian [1], openSUSE uses /var/cache/apparmor/
> for the profile cache and /usr/share/apparmor/cache/ for the
> read-only/packaged version.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.com/apparmor/apparmor/merge_requests/134

As stated elsewhere, Ubuntu has used /var/cache/apparmor for non-system
policy related to Ubuntu Touch and snapd. That said, Touch is gone and
snapd prepends 'snap.' to all snapd policy and lets apparmor_parser
manage the directory, so the fact that snapd specifies it for --cache-
loc is not a vote against moving system policy there.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com