No, they never go dormant and if left alone will have spindly, 12 foot
tall branches.  They develop an extremely vertical habit that is
unproductive.

We counter this by aggressively bending branches horizontal and pinching
back vertical suckers in order to form fruiting buds.  At the start of the
dry season we strip all the leaves manually, which causes the tree to think
that it has gone through a winter.  Since it is 80 degrees and 12 hours of
daylight length, it then thinks that it is spring and time to blossom and
bear fruit; this usually occurs 6-8 weeks after leaf stripping.

We call this Tropic Apple Culture, and various varieties respond
differently to it, not always depending on their chilling hour rating.  I
surmise that by manually leaf stripping, the tree believes that the
chilling hour requirement, whatever it may be, has been satisfied; it then
goes on to blossom and fruit.  Mollie's Delicious was one of the first to
fruit for us, even before Anna.  Anna and Dorsett Golden fruit heavily the
third year, following in ensuing years by other varieties since we plant on
either seedling or M111 rootstock.

Many institutions still consider growing apples in the tropics
"experimental"; our farmers are way past that and sinking big money into
expanding their current apple orchards, usually with the crop completely
sold while it is still on the trees.

Kevin Hauser
Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery Uganda Ltd.
Riverside, California