Hi,

They are definitely not European red mites.  They are distinctly orange,
not red.  By November, I would expect that European red mites would be
in their overwintering egg stage.  Also, I'm not sure what affect oil
will have on these mites that are under the bark. Any other suggestions
on early two-spotted mite control would be appreciated.

I hope to take some pictures and have them posted on-line so people can
take a look.  However, my colleague with the better digital microscope
camera is out this week.

Thanks for your comments.

Lorraine

Lorraine Los