Hello Darlyn,
I have about 1.5 acres of Haygrove tunnels, which I use to cover strawberries,
raspberries and cherries. There is another company called Viking, who make
similar, so-called Spanish tunnels.
They are good structures, but not suitable for covering crops in winter, when
winds are stronger and shelter is poorer, nor are they suitable for very windy
places. We get quite a bit of wind in Ireland, but I have located my tunnels in
a relatively sheltered spot on the farm. However, during the summer, we got an
unexpected gale, which lasted for about 4 hours, and which came close to
knocking the tunnels. A guy about 50km from here, who was in a more exposed
area, failed to keep all the tunnels ventilated (you ventilate by pushing the
plastic up onto the roof of the tunnel, or down into the gutter if it is very
windy, and he ended up with them crashing down onto his two acres of nearly
ripe cherries, which were left a mess of tangled steel, branches and plastic.
And because it was raining at the time, the cherries were lost.
I would recommend these tunnels as a cheap(er) method of covering crops, but
not suitable for places that get wind when you need to have the crops covered.
Usually, our wind comes in winter, when we remove the plastic, as the plants do
not need cover then, and that suits us fine.
Good shelter in the area can help a lot. Because the tunnels are on a leg about
3 - 4 feet high, and the wind can blow under, temperatures do not get too hot
underneath. The tunnels are as much for rain protection as temperature gain.
Con Traas
The Apple Farm
Cahir
Ireland