From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Sent: 16 February 2009 14:10
To: NAFEX
Cc: Apple Crop; Rarefruit list
Subject: Apple-Crop: Apples at a place where there is no chilling.

Dear all,

I was in Indonesia for two weeks and also visited some places in Java
island of that country.  I had a VERY BIG SURPRISE of my life there.  In
Batu area of Java I saw apples being cultivated.  This are is around
3000 ft above the seaas level, at 6 degrees south of equator.  The
minimum temperature of this area is above 45 F meaning that the trees do
not receive any chilling.  Most farmers even take two crops a year by
regulating the flowering with pruning or hand defoliation.  The fruit
quality is good and these fruits are bought by consumers at supermarkets
at a price higher than that for Fuji apples.

I would not have believed it had I not seen these orchards personally.

Could any of you explain how these apple trees are able to grow and bear
fruits even without meeting their chilling requirements?

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com