Hi Dave and all,

The Neudorff copper soap concentrate fungicide is registered in NYS and this label has the OMRI logo on it--http://oaspub.epa.gov/pestlabl/ppls.srchreslt?CompNum=067702&ProdNum=00002

It refers to July sprays on apples for anthracnose. It would be good to get some efficacy data on copper soap, as the label rates uses low amounts of actual copper.

Brian Caldwell

At 08:33 PM 5/13/2009, you wrote:
Thanks to all of you who responded to my query about copper. I was actually looking for an OMRI approved product that specifically was labeled for summer diseases on apples, or that at least allowed such applications. Most coppers labeled for apples specify a green tip spray for fire blight, blossom sprays for fire blight, and then "sprays before fall rains" for anthracnose and other diseases. I suppose that a July application could be construed as being "before fall rains," but our NY regulators might not buy that. (Yes, it's true that NY regulators found banking was too difficult to understand, but they still think that they can understand and regulate pesticides more effectively than the US EPA!) Anyway, my objective is to test a combination of a low rate of Liquid Lime Sulfur (1 qt/100 gal of dilute spray) combined with a low rate of copper to see if we can get reasonable control of both summer fruit rots (mostly black rot, Botryosphaeria obtusa, in our area) and the sooty blotch and flyspeck complex. I have tested the low rate of Liquid Lime Sulfur (LLS) several times in previous years and it seems to work quite well for flyspeck and sooty blotch. However, LLS did not control fruit rots and at higher rates it may have even stimulated fruit rots, perhaps by injuring cells that can then be invaded by Botryosphaeria. I've tested the LLS/copper combination before using a non-OMRI-approved copper and it did not cause any more harm to the fruit that one might expect from copper sprays. However, we did not have good disease pressure in that trial, so I'm hoping to repeat it this summer.

From: Yoder, Keith
Sent: Wed 2009-05-13 06:39
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: RE: Apple-Crop: copper fungicides for organic apples?

Dave,

Here is a possibility with summer labeling: Agri Star® Basic Copper 53 (Albaugh, Inc./Agri Star)

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0BO001.pdf <http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0BO001.pdf>

It is registered for summer use on apples and is also listed with OMRI.

OMRI says: Basic Copper 53, Classification: "When used for plant disease control must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil. May be used as an algicide, insecticide, or disease control if the requirements of 205.206(e) are met, which requires the use of preventative, mechanical, physical, and other pest, weed, and disease management practices".

The contact listed with OMRI is: Albaugh, Inc.: Mark Blume, Ph: 515-964-9444.

Summer diseases on the CDMS-posted Basic Copper 53 label include Brooks spot, sooty blotch and bitter rot. The label warns about copper injury and calls for different rates and different amounts of lime to be added to the mix at different times of the season.

We tested a product with the same name and similar label wording but from a different distributor in 1995. The reference for that report is Fungicide and Nematicide Tests, Vol. 51:31-32 (1996). "Summer disease control by copper formulations and fungicide mixtures on Nittany apple, 1995".

Our interest in testing this was for summer disease control on processing apples, where russet isn't as much of a concern as for fresh market. We used Basic Copper "53" 2 lb/A from greentip- petal fall, then Basic Copper "53" 4 lb/A + Hydrated Lime 12 lb/A (first-fourth covers) followed by Basic Copper "53" 4 lb/A + Hydrated Lime 8 lb/A (fifth and sixth covers). Treatments were applied airblast to large trees at 100 gal/A.

That year we had one of the heaviest bitter rot tests we've ever had. We got decent bitter rot control, better than a schedule involving Polyram 80DF 3 lb/A + Ziram 3 lb/A through second cover then Captan 50W 3 lb + Ziram 76DF 3 lb/A, third to sixth covers. The copper schedule was weak on flyspeck (which has been true with other coppers in other tests). In our test, 19 wetting periods at 70 F or warmer occurred from mid-May to mid-August contributed to the heavy summer disease pressure. Cumulative wetting hours recorded starting 10 days after petal fall reached 250 on 26 Jun at the beginning of an 84-hr wetting period, then six inches of rain and 142 more wetting hours between 22 and 30 June. We got a lot of fruit russet from the full season copper schedule: only 7% of the fruit made the USDA Extra Fancy / Fancy grades due to russetting.

I can send label and report files to anyone who requests them at my e-mail address: ksyo...@vt.edu <mailto:ksyo...@vt.edu>

Keith

Keith S. Yoder, Research and Extension Tree Fruit Pathologist

Virginia Tech AREC, 595 Laurel Grove Rd., Winchester, VA 22602