We have also tried the peppermint ties with limited success.  They seem to
work for a while, but never long enough.

Chris Hedges

  _____

From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net]
On Behalf Of David Rennhack
Sent: July 7, 2009 8:28 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: deer

Jim,

    It didn't work in Michigan in 2008.  Several growers in the Hart area
tried it to no avail.  We have found a low cost (about .75/ft) electric
fence system that is working so far this year.  It consists of two runs of
fence 3' apart.  The outer fence has electric "tape" 18" off the ground and
the inner run has two electric wires, one 10" and the other 24" off the
ground.  It doesn't look like much but it has kept deer out of a 10 and 20
acre orchard almost entirely.  It probably won't work in it's present design
in the winter if you have snow but seems to work during the growing season.

Dave Rennhack

Hart, MI