From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net] On
Behalf Of Dan Digiacomandrea
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 6:56 AM
To: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net
Subject: Apple-Crop: UK: Organic nutrient levels 'no higher' (Fruitnet.com)

Thought this was a timely article considering the recent threads on Apple Crop.
Just wanted to "fan the flames" a little. It's been kind of quiet!

UK: Organic nutrient levels 'no higher' (Fruitnet.com)

Report suggests there is no significant difference in nutritional value of
organic crops compared with conventionally grown produce

A report commissioned by the UK Food Standards Agency has dealt a hefty blow to
the organic food sector after it concluded there was no significant difference
in the nutritional value or health benefits associated with organically
produced products compared with food produced using conventional methods.

The study, which was conducted by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical
Medicine (LSHTM), looked at a broad number of research projects conducted over
the past 50 years.

Of the 55 studies referenced in the final report, only a handful confirmed
differences in the nutritional content of organic versus conventional food.
Those differences, said the LSHTM, were not large enough to make any difference
to public health.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between
organically and conventionally produced crops and livestock, but these are
unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Dr Alan Dangour, who led
the investigation. "Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to
support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the
basis of nutritional superiority."

Published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the report found no
differences in most nutrients - including vitamin C, calcium, and iron -
between the two kinds of crop.

Where differences were observed, for example in the level of nitrogen and
phosphorus detected, these were most likely to be due to differences in
fertilizer use and ripeness at harvest and were unlikely to provide any health
benefit, the report concluded.

However, the report has been heavily criticised by UK organics lobby group the
Soil Association. Policy director Peter Melchett argued that the review had
rejected almost all the existing studies of comparisons between organic and
non-organic nutritional differences.

"Although the researchers say that the differences between organic and
non-organic food are not 'important', due to the relatively few studies, they
report in their analysis that there are higher levels of beneficial nutrients
in organic compared to non-organic foods," he said. "Without large-scale,
longitudinal research, it is difficult to come to far-reaching clear
conclusions on this, which was acknowledged by the authors of the FSA review.
Also, there is not sufficient research on the long-term effects of pesticides
on human health."

The study did not take into consideration the use of pesticides or the
environmental impact of the different farming practices involved.

Gill Fine, FSA director of consumer choice and dietary health, said: "Ensuring
people have accurate information is absolutely essential in allowing us all to
make informed choices about the food we eat. This study does not mean that
people should not eat organic food. What it shows is that there is little, if
any, nutritional difference between organic and conventionally produced food
and that there is no evidence of additional health benefits from eating organic
food."

She added: "We recognise that there are many reasons why people choose to eat
organic, such as animal welfare or environmental concerns. The agency will
continue to give consumers accurate information about their food based on the
best available scientific evidence."

Published 30 July 2009

Dan DiGiacomandrea
Bayer CropScience
68 Chadwick Manor
Fairport, NY 14450
585-330-3263
Fax 585-425-8774
Email: dan.digiacomand...@bayercropscience.com
Website: www.bayercropscienceus.com

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally
privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a
waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do not
directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this
message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender.
Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com